Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Food Rules - An Eater's Manual



This is one of my best investment on books.

In a time where I always question the 'halal' & 'non-halal' of food in restaurants throughout Klang Valley; struggle with what to eat & not with regards to losing weight, balancing my hormones & being healthy, and how to go back to healthy basics when it comes to food & preparing them for my family - this book is an eye-opener.

Pollan's rules are a collection of wisdom from your great-grandmother & Mak Som, and food policies (from different cultures) to help simplify your eating life.

He made me realize how much my view of food had changed over the years and I find myself wanting to jump off the millennium wagon where people do not see food as a whole but based on scientific nutritional values which some I can't even pronounce, let alone understand or know what they are!

There are 64 rules for eating healthily & happily which are self-explanatory or accompanied by 1-2 short paragraphs of explanation.

Here are a few which I love and are definitely becoming my policies towards food:



#1 - Eat Food (nothing that comes through a window or in a box)

#2 - Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.

#19 - If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.

#20 - It's not food if it arrived through the window of your car. (no McDs!)

#21 - It's not food if it's called by the same name in every language. (Think Big Mac, Cheetos or Pringles)

#23 - Treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food.

#36 - Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.

#37 - The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll be dead.

#39 - Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.

#60 - Treat treats as treats.

#63 Cook.



It's just common sense. I welcome the reminder and InsyaAllah, I will put these rules into practice. I hope sharing this with you will also enlighten your life :o)

Bye-bye, wagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment